Luna in Libra
On Friday October 16, we have brief remiss from Mercury Retrograde with some lovely solar and lunar libra energy. The quiet amongst a seeming storm of astrological energies, the New Moon in Libra will help provide a moment of calm to rebalance and center. Use this time for peace-making and finding balance in your life. Additionally, since Mercury Retrograde tends to dig up old wounds that have unconsciously been affecting us, this may be a key time to plant seeds for a new beginning on your healing journey, to end repeating patterns in your life.
(P.S. I am hosting a free Live meditation for the Libra New Moon in my fb group Soul Sorcery. And if you miss it, you can catch the replay!).
Mercury Retrograde often invites us to “slow down.” As someone who lives in the fast-paced Bay Area, this terminology always bothered me, but I find it more so to be an invitation to check in with the balance in your life, to heal old wounds that have caused sometimes-unconscious repeating patterns, to revisit old projects and ideas. With the new moon in Libra bringing in that extra element of balance, this lunar energy could be an especially potent time to reflect, and to ultimately create a new vision of balance and equilibrium in your life, whether that be in relationships, self care, love, or just the everyday flow of life between work, art, and love.
Luna in Libra
Energetic Alignment: Love, Longevity, Fertility, Wisdom
Imbibe the luscious, balancing energies of this Libra New Moon with this apple brandy, herbal concoction. Seasonal apple flavors takes the center stage in this brandy cocktail, complimented by uplifting orange and balancing grape. Aligned to the Libra New Moon for Love, Longevity, and Wisdom, this Luna in Libra cocktail will have you creating a fresh start of balance under the lunar energies.
Additionally, you can check out the Libra in Love libations for alternative drinks for this time.
For Simple Sipping: Cocktail making can be easy! Just swap ingredients or remove as you see fit. Use the material here & the ingredient reference list towards the bottom to help guide you in your own unique concoction, and get creative in swapping ingredients you may not have.
Luna in Libra
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 grapes (I used Moon Drop grapes)
- 1/2 ounce New Moon in Libra Simple Syrup (recipe below)
- 4 dashes rosewater (optonal)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce orange liqueur (for example, cointreu, gran marnier, triple sec)
- 1 ounce apple brandy (I used EJ Apple brandy. You can also play with mixing in a bit of whiskey or bourbon)
- 1 ounce soda water
- In a cocktail shaker, firmly muddle rosemary and grapes in the syrup and rosewater. As you do so, visualize yourself stamping out imbalance in favor of more balance in your life. Add in lemon, orange liqueur, and apple brandy. Add ice, and shake firmly. Strain into a highball glass over ice. Top with soda water to taste.
Just as delicious as the cocktail version, this moon mocktail is a lovely libation for these lunar energies.
Libra New Moon Mocktail
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 grapes (I used Moon Drop Grapes)
- 1/2 ounce Libra new moon simsple syrup (see below, or use simple syrup of choice (1:1 ratio sugar to water))
- 3/4 ounce lemon
- 1-1.5 ounces apple juice
- Firmly muddle rosemary and grapes in syrup, in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add in lemon and apple juice, ice, then shake and strain into a glass over ice. Enjoy!
Luna in Libra Simple Syrup
Energetic Alignment: Love, Peace, Psychic Abilities
Libra asks us to reflect on our aesthetic, on love and self care, on our relationships – with others, ourselves, and the world. How can you live in better alignment at this time? What passions and projects of your deserve more attention at this time?
This syrup combines the lunar and libra associations, for peace, love, and psychic abilities through the use of Vanilla, rosemary, and rose. This powerful trio of ingredients will render this syrup a powerful addition to your Luna in Libra concoctions for insight, calm, and balance, even possibly make a just as wonderful dessert topping or even in coffee or iced tea! (Can you imagine the vanilla and rose atop a lovely strawberry fruit salad? Yes please!).
Luna in Libra Simple Syrup
- 1 tbsp dried rose petals
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 inch vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Set water to boil. Meanwhile, collect your ingredients in an appropriate mason jar. Spend a moment breathing in the powerful aromas and energies of these ingredients. Pour the hot water over the ingredients, steep for 5 minutes, then add in sugar. Stir and let cool. Refrigerate over night if possible, to give vanilla and rose extra time to infuse. Otherwise, strain before use. Refrigerate and use for up to about 3 weeks.
As a crystal healing practitioner, I can’t help myself when it comes to crystals and working with energy! Here are some crystals/stones I recommend for further utilizing the Libra sun energies described in this blog. To layer on the energetic & magical frequencies, you can meditate with your given crystal, keep it on you as make and/or sip the drink, as well as attune the crystal to the drink by visualizing both the drink and crystal resonating together with your intention, as you hold the crystal against the outside of the glass. (Don’t put your crystal in any of the cocktail components unless you know for sure it is not toxic). Here are their energies and why I suggest them (as it relates to the Libra New Moon).
- Jade is a powerful healer, often used to increase the speed of the healing process. Associated with the heart chakra, it helps to open one to life’s abundance and transmute any blockages to prosperity. Wear for good luck, to balance your energies, or to aid in any healing. Particularly for this New Moon, Jade would be a wonderful choice to bring harmony and balance into various areas of your life: health/wellbeing, energy, prosperity, and relationships
- Lapis Lazuli (Third Eye & Throat Chakras) is a great ally for psychic development and clear communication. This stone will help you access other realms and communicate with your guides. Lapis is a great stone for journeying for this reason, and can also be used to journey within oneself to uncover and heal karmic cycles. Especially amidst the mercury retrograde energies, this stone can help promote communication, internal alignment and balance, and calm.
- Pink Calcite (Heart Chakra) connects to Divine Love and helps to activate the heart chakra, to clear blockages with emotional expression. Pink Calcite inspires wholeness and empathy, and will help provide emotional support as patterns are cleared away.
For other stones that may be good to work with for this time, check out the Libra in Love blog. There, I talk about amethyst, pink common opal, and kunzite that will also make wonderful choice for crystalline energy additions to your lunar workings.
Magical correspondences of ingredients, as they align to this lunar occasion!
Apple (Venus, Water) – Love, Healing, Longevity, Fertility, Wisdom, Magic
Grape (Moon, Water) – Fertility, Garden Magic, Mental Powers, Money
Lemon (Moon, Water) – Longevity, Purification, Love, Friendship, Joy
Orange (Sun, Fire) – Love, Divination, Luck, Money, beauty (internal, unless blossom), Purification
Rose (Venus, Water) – Love, Psychic Powers, Healing, Love, Divination, Luck, Protection
Rosemary (Sun, Mercury, Moon) – Protection, Love, Lust, Mental Powers, Purification, Healing, Sleep, Youth
Vanilla (Venus, Water) – Love, Sexuality, Energy, Mind, Peace, Money
Here are the resources I used to help guide my work beyond what I already know! I highly recommend these reference tests 🙂
Disclaimer: In order to support in my work bringing you this information each week, on occasion I may earn a small commission from endorsements, recommendations, or links to any products from this website. These are links to actual products and resources I use and suggest.
- Boland, Yasmin. Moonology: Working with the Magic of Lunar Cycles. Hay House, 2016.
- Cunningham, Scott. Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen. Llewellyn Publications, 1990.
- Cunningham, Scott. Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs. Llewellyn Publications, 1985.
- Kynes, Sandra. Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences: A Comprehensive Cross-Referenced Resource for Pagans & Wiccans. Llewellyn, 2013.
- Kynes, Sandra. Plant Magic: A Year of Green Wisdom for Pagans & Wiccans. Llewellyn Publications, 2017.
- Morrison, Dorothy. Everyday Moon Magic: Spells & Rituals for Abundant Living. Llewellyn Publications, 2009.
- Regan, Gary. The Bartender’s Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set up Your Bar. HarperCollins, 1991.
Disclaimer: The content on this website is intended for fun and informational purposes only. It is not intended as, nor should it be, considered a substitute for professional medical advice, suggestions, diagnosis, or treatment of any kind. The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The information on this website is to be used at your own risk based on your own judgement. You assume full responsibility and liability for your own actions.