Influencing the ebb and flow of the ocean tides, what better way to toast to the moon than with a moon drink? With subtly sweet and grounding maple, spices like cardamom and cinnamon to comfort the heart, rejuvenating lemon, and floral rose, this refreshing chamomile tea cocktail and mocktail is perfect to sip to the moon. With ingredients associated with love, cleansing, and healing in magical folklore, this recipe is perfect for a moon cocktail.
To support and maintain the work I do on this blog, this post contains Amazon, Etsy, & Drizly affiliate links to products I use and suggest. As an Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting me and my blog!
Why a Chamomile Moon Drink and Cocktail?
Drinking to the Moon
The moon has many close associations with water in astrological, magical lore, and in everyday life – so why not celebrate it with a delicious moon drink? While the moon’s energy can take different forms, this celestial body influences our emotional realm. In fact, in astrology the moon rules the astrological zone of the Fourth House, that pertains to the emotional backdrop of our consciousness and how we tend to feel nurtured. This moon drink has ingredients to help soothe the soul, comfort the heart, and inspire spiritual connection and healing – so that your heart and mind can be in balance with the nurturing energy of the moon. (If you’d love to learn more about the magic and healing of astrology, my newest book The Modern Witchcraft Book of Astrology releases on January 24, 2023). With that in mind, let’s dive into each ingredient you may need, and their magical folklore.
If you’re interested in a guide in how to drink to the moon, check out my book Moon, Magic, Mixology where I talk about all things moon and mixology, from phases, moon signs, lunar ingredients, liqueurs, and moon cocktails for every lunar occasion!
Ingredients for the Chamomile Cocktail & Moon Drink Recipe
When it comes to making a calming chamomile cocktail and magical moon drink, each ingredient has a role to play! Below you will find more information on each ingredient you will need, their energetic associations in magical practices (as it pertains to this drink), flavor contribution, along with links to where you can get them.
- Dried Chamomile or Chamomile Tea: A key ingredient you will need for a chamomile cocktail is, of course, chamomile! Well known for its ability to calm the mind, chamomile adds a touch of harmony and peace to this moon cocktail. You can use Chamomile Tea or dried chamomile.
- Dried Rose Petals: Part of our tea base, dried rose petals adds soothing aroma to this moon drink, aligned to energies of love, healing, and spirituality. Bringing out the beauty in everything, rose helps add a peachy hue to this chamomile tea cocktail. If you do not have access to Dried Rose Petals, feel free to try using a store-bought rose tea.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is an easy and delicious addition to this sweeten up this soothing concoction. Associated with love, longevity and money in magical folklore, maple syrup also adds a subtle sweetness and grounding feel. Maple syrup can vary from brand to brand, so be sure to start with less and add more, if needed.
- Ground Cardamom: Adding a hint of warmth and spice to this magical mixture, ground cardamom is furthers the loving energies of this chamomile cocktail. Ground cardamom from your local grocery store should work just fine.
- Ground Cinnamon: An enticing spice, cinnamon is a powerful ingredient in magical practices, often used to raise the vibration of all things, for spirituality, fast luck, abundance, and personal power. In this moon cocktail and drink recipe, cinnamon adds a pinch of soothing warmth, and spiritual attainment.
- 1 Fresh Rosemary Sprig (optional): An optional ingredient to this moon cocktail, rosemary adds in an extra layer of herbal, pine-like flavor and peaceful, minding clearing energy. With a name meaning “dew of the sea”, the scent of this Mediterranean herb is often used to enhance and relax the mind.
- Lemon: As you might guess from its popularity as a refreshing scent, lemon is associated with cleansing. In fact, this citrus is associated with the moon! Lemon helps create flavor balance in the cocktail, while also inspiring a feeling of cleansing and joy. Fresh is always best! I suggest freshly juiced lemons.
- Apple Brandy or Apple Juice (for Nonalcoholic version): Apple adds a touch of comforting flavor, while adding in energies of love, healing and magic. For the cocktail recipe, we will use a quarter ounce of apple brandy. For the nonalcoholic moon drink recipe, you can use apple juice and a fresh apple slice.
- Vodka (For the alcoholic version): For this chamomile cocktail recipe, the base liquor you are going to use is vodka. When it comes to vodka, using a clean and crisp spirit is usually best, that way it doesn’t interfere with the flavor balance. You can also try whiskey, but this creates a completely different flavor profile.
Tools to make This Moon Cocktail & Mocktail
& At-Home Alternatives You may already have in your kitchen!
Here are tools I recommend, as well as suggestions on how to replace them with options you may have in your home! There’s no need to break the bank if you are budding magical mixologist.
- Shake: I personally use a traditional Boston shaker. (You can also get a kit like this to try and cover any tools you may need for future bartending uses). However, you can try and improvise with tools you have at home to save money, like a mason jar or plastic container.
- Measure: For measuring liquid increments, this OXO jigger is my personal favorite. However, you can try converting ounces to table- and teaspoons, and use measuring devices you already have in you home (1 tablespoon generally = 1/2 ounce). You will need tablespoon measurer for the dried herbs.
- Strain: A hawthorn and mesh strainer (to catch the spice bits). You can use normal kitchen strainer in a pinch. Not completely necessary, if you don’t mind some spice in your cup!
- Muddle: If adding in fresh apple slice and rosemary for the nonalcoholic option, you may want to use a muddler like this to break up them up. You can also use the back of a wooden spoon, or break up the pieces by hand before adding them to your concoction.
- Citrus Juicer: When it comes to drinks, fresh is always best! If you aren’t up for using your hands, you will need something to squeeze the lemon with. I personally use this hand juicer when making just a small handful of drinks, or an electric juicer like this one when I want to prep more for a party.
- An extra jar or cup to brew the tea.
- Coupe glass: For serving our cocktail! Because of the tea, and the lightness of chamomile, I do not suggest serving this over ice as it may be watered down. But if you like that – then go for it!
The Chamomile Moon Drink and Cocktail Recipe
Energetic Themes: Love, Healing, Purification
This chamomile moon drink (with cocktail and mocktail versions) is designed to do what chamomile does best: relax and refresh the mind. This moon cocktail is also packed with soothing ingredients associated with loving and healing energy, such as dried rose, subtly sweet and grounding maple, comforting apple flavors, and a pinch of cinnamon and cardamom spices for warmth. Coupled with lemon to cleanse with the moon and inspire joy, and optional rosemary to revive and refresh the mind, you have refreshing, spiced moon cocktail with herbal and floral flavors for sipping in self-love, soothing energy and flavors, and bringing peace to the mind and heart.
Chamomile Moon Cocktail
Chamomile Rose Tea Base
Chamomile Moon Cocktail
Chamomile Rose Tea Base
- Steep chamomile and rose in hot water.
Chamomile Moon Cocktail
- Add maple, spices, and optional rosemary to your shaker.
- Measure and add freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add in Chamomile Rose Tea (chilled/cooled), vodka, and apple brandy.
- Add ice and shake.
- Strain into cocktail glass, and garnish with crescent moon-shaped apple slice.
Adding a Touch of Moon Magic to your Mixology: When incorporating each ingredient, really reflect on the magical energy of each ingredient listed in the ingredient section. Visualize the moon up above, shining down and blessing your liquid libation, in the same way it tugs at the ocean tides!
Looking for some more moon drinks? You can check out my Cancer Moon Drink Blog here.