With Capricorn season and the New Year around the corner, there’s no better time to sip up a delicious mead cocktail and plan for the year ahead. With spices like cinnamon and clove, apple, a hint of orange, maple, and topped with Moonlight Meadery’s “No Need to Argue” cranberry mead, this cranberry-apple mead cocktail is delicious and packed with ingredients associated with abundance, love, and money – to help you plan for success like a Capricorn!
A very special thanks to Moonlight Meadery for sending me the mead to help me make this drink!
Let’s get into the upcoming energy of the Capricorn New Moon & Season, and what lies ahead! Or skip down ahead to the recipe below.
About Capricorn Season and the Capricorn New Moon
On December 23, at 5:17 am EST, the last lunation of the year will bless us with the Capricorn new moon. A time when both sun and moon are aligned, this can be great for starting or growing new efforts. With the New Year around the corner, and Capricorn a sign of steadfastness, ambition, and goals (not to mention following the Winter Solstice from the 21st), this might be the perfect time to really think ahead on what kind of goals and ambitions you want for the year ahead. Symbolized by the sea goat, Capricorn will climb any mountain to pursue its goals, and swim deep into the wise water of the ocean for knowledge to tackle any problem.
At the same time, we have some other astrological weather to consider.
Coinciding with the New moon in Capricorn, we have several other planets in Capricorn, as well as Jupiter (planet of abundance and opportunities) beginning a new 12 year cycle by moving back into Aries. After being retrograde since the summer, Chiron will also go direct right around the new moon, empowering our own inner wounded healer to rise to the surface to reflect on any lingering personal wounds. While all of these things seem like a blessed situation for moving forward, Mercury officially goes retrograde on the 29th and is already in its shadow period right now. This means a period of review will start swiftly before the start of the new year, so it may not be the best time to start brand new efforts, or else delays will arise in the next week. But it still is a good time to go within and use that Capricorn new moon energy for motivating yourself to close out any lingering projects, invoke abundance and blessings, or to look ahead and plan ahead. Just know that Mercury retrograde will offer you the chance to rework any areas you may have struggled with your goals in the past.
If you want to plan ahead, you can check out my Mercury Retrograde Drinks blog here for some relaxing, stress-free concoctions. And if still celebrating the Yuletide (for those of us in the northern hemisphere), you can check out my Winter Solstice cocktails here.
With that, let’s get into this supremely delicious Cranberry Mead Cocktail and why you should enjoy it for Capricorn Season!
About the Cranberry Mead Mixed Drink
Wintertime is when many of us connect to old traditions, and as the oldest alcohol in the world, mead is a perfect libation for the occasion. Using Moonlight Meadery’s No Need to Argue Cranberry mead, this mead drink recipe offers the perfect opportunity to enjoy the seasonal flavors like of cranberry, apple, and orange, while attuning to the themes of winter and Capricorn season. So relax, sit back, and sip in the season with this tasty, zesty apple cranberry mead cocktail recipe!
Every ingredient is also aligned to seasonal and astrological themes and energy, packed with folklore and magic (as the history of mead and alcohol is intertwined with ancient witchcraft practices). With cinnamon for manifestation, abundant clove, brightening orange, and goal and action oriented cranberry, this cranberry mead drink recipe is a perfect for planning for success this Capricorn season – to think about new goals for the new year, and usher them forth with abundance, action, and manifestation. Many of these ingredients are an also associated with love, so under Capricorn’s watchful eye, sip this mead cocktail recipe with a loved one, to help renew bonds of commitment, tradition, and love.
Ingredients for the Cranberry Mead Cocktail
When it comes to this delicious and magical libation, every ingredient has a role to play! Here are some of the ingredients you will need to make this mead drink recipe, and how their folklore and flavors play into the mead cocktail.
- Cinnamon, Ground: From cinnamon-scented broomsticks to pine cones, cinnamon is a key aroma of the fall-winter season. A perfect compliment to the apple and maple flavors of this mead drink recipe, a pinch of ground cinnamon adds a hint of both spice and magic. Associated with the sun in witchcraft practices, cinnamon is perfect for celebrating the rebirth of the sun and solar energy. It is also often used luck and manifestation, and to spice up one’s love life.orld.
- Clove, Ground: Ground clove warms up and rounds out our cranberry mead cocktail, making for some sensuous and comforting flavors. Associated with Jupiter, clove is often used in witchcraft to help with bringing in the riches, raising spiritual vibrations, and heating up romance.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is our cocktail syrup in this mead drink recipe, adding a light woodsy, subtle sweetness to balance the tang of the cranberry and lemon. It is often associated with things like love and money, and can help to inspire longevity in both. Maple syrup can vary from brand to brand, so be sure to start with less in your maple cocktail and add more, if needed.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: What better way to cleanse the old year away and reinvigorate your energy, than with lemon? Adding a tangy refreshing note to our cranberry mead cocktail, lemon is associated with purification, while also uplifting feelings of love, happiness and inspiration. It is also associated with the moon, so that will made a great ingredient addition for the Capricorn New Moon.
- Orange Bitters: For a nice zest and a bit of that solar energy (so that we have the sun & lunar influences for the Capricorn sun and moon) we will be adding orange bitters. A couple of dashes these really enlivens the cocktail flavor profile, while adding energy of warmth, optimism, and heightening themes of abundance, luck and inspiration.
- Apple Brandy: To compliment the cranberry mead, we are adding just tad (1/2 ounce) of apple brandy. From ancient nordic cultures wassailing and pouring cider on tree roots in apple orchards, to seasonal sparkling apple cider, apples are the reason for the season, and a great ingredient to use to tie to ancient wisdom. At the same time, if you cut an apple horizontally, the slices form a five pointed star – perfect for manifestation magic. Apple is also associated with healing, love, and fertility oftentimes.
- Cranberry Mead: The center of this concoction is nonother than Moonlight Meadery’s Cranberry Mead – “No Need to Argue”. This mead is absolutely delicious, and finishes off our concoction. Cranberry is often associated with protection, and ruled by mars, is a great ingredient for setting goals and taking action. As a berry, cranberry is sometimes used to represent abundance as well. All in all, it is a perfect Capricorn-associated for setting goals, protecting them, and bringing abundance with those endeavors in the new year. If you’d like to learn more about mead and Award Winning Moonlight Meadery, you can read my Mead Magic blog here.
Cranberry Mead Cocktail Recipe
Energetic Inspiration: Love, Longevity, Money, Planning
Cranberry Mead Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1 generous pinch cinnamon, ground
- 1 generous pinch clove, ground
- 1/2 ounce maple syrup
- 1 ounce lemon juice, fresh
- 1/2 ounce apple brandy
- 4 drops/dashes orange bitters
- 1-2 ounces Moonlight Meadery's "No Need to Argue" Cranberry Mead
- cinnamon-brown sugar mixture for glass rim, optional
- 1 stick cinnamon for garnish
- In your cocktail shaker, place ground spices, maple, lemon, orange bitters, and apple brandy.
- Add ice and shake.
- Feel free to rim cocktail glass lip with brown sugar & cinnamon mixture, coating lip with lemon and then dipping into mix.
- Strain drink into glass and top with 1-2 ounces Cranberry Mead (add to taste).
- Garnish with cinnamon stick & enjoy!